November 2, 2010

Election Day

In all seriousness, I have to admit something.

I almost decided NOT to vote today.

What can I say? I've been away from home for almost three weeks, and arrived at 12:30pm this afternoon after having been on a Greyhound bus since 7:15pm yesterday. So yes, I'm tired - and I almost chose to nap....but then I thought of my Aunt Rebecca, who did not live to see the first African-American president. I also thought of my father, the activist, Suzanne Pharr, Gilbert, and the hundreds of thousands who worked tirelessly (some of them giving the supreme sacrifice, albeit not by choice) so that I could walk into a polling place and cast my vote.

To have NOT voted today would have been to have given all of those people - and especially my ancestors, who did not have the opportunity to vote - the equivalent of the finger, if I may.

So yes, I voted.

It is a responsibility, not only as a citizen, but also to honor those both living and no longer on the earth who went before.

More soon,
Sam

No comments: