February 12, 2018

There are times....

So....after a day that included a bus driver getting lost TWICE and a huge, weather-related flight delay, I am home from SphinxConnect, an annual conference hosted by the Sphinx Organization that focuses on the issues of diversity, inclusion, entrepreneurship, creativity and equity in the arts.   This being my second time attending SphinxConnect as a Fellowship recipient, I must say that I am still inspired by the fact that hundreds of people from all areas of the field (performance/education/arts administration) attended, and I so look forward to deepening the connections made both this year and last year.

SphinxConnect is held in tandem with the annual Sphinx Competition for Black and Latino String Players.    As in previous years, this year's competition was truly exciting as it is always uplifting to see and hear truly talented and hard-working young people perform. 

This year was certainly not an exception, however....we all have memories of sitting in concert halls and being totally BLOWN AWAY by levels of commitment, technical facility, and musical acuity.   As I write this, I immediately think of Christian Tetzlaff's 1994 Houston Symphony debut, during which he performed the Dvorak Violin Concerto

And that's all - watch the video and listen for yourselves.

     

No comments: