November 9, 2013

Delandria Mills


Delandria Mills and The Global Presents performing Orrin Evans' "The Sluice"


 I think it was in November of 2010...violist Robin Fay Massie invited me to a CD release party being held at An Die Musik Live, a Baltimore concert venue where both jazz and classical music concerts are presented. Having recently moved back into the city, of course I was excited to hear live music and also to support a friend. The release party was hosted by Delandria Mills, flutist and Houston native who now divides her time between New York City and Baltimore.

 The night was a special one indeed, as audience members were treated to performances by Delandria's students, classical music, and jazz - all in celebration of Ms. Mills presenting three compact discs to the public. Yes - three. Nothing else needs to be said about that: taking the time to prepare works for recording is a feat in itself, but to have released three discs in one evening...can someone snap, please? *snap*.

 The highlight of the evening came when Delandria led a quintet of jazz musicians in two numbers, the names of which I cannot remember. Regardless - during those twenty minutes I witnessed some of the most stunning and committed leading that I have ever seen, and the playing from everyone was of course out-of-this-world    Delandria definitely delivers whether playing classical music, jazz, or "the new". Take a listen to the wonderfully atmospheric and warm sounds of "Ephphatha", one of the 2010 releases.

I am proud to say that I have been included as one of Delandria's friends since that night, and would like to take a moment to wish the happiest of birthdays to one of the most creative and hard-working musicians that I have met to date.


No comments: